A week ago the world rang in a new year. And while I probably should have posted this closer to good old 2013 ended due to an unexpected trip to Idaho did not. Better late than never, right?
So here it goes. The wrap up of 2013 in the world of my reading life. This survey was originally created by Jamie over at The Perpetual Page-Turner (http://www.perpetualpageturner.com/2013/12/4th-annual-end-of-year-book-survey-2013-edition.html).
BEST BOOKS OF 2013
1) Best book you read in 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
YA: The Beckoners by Carrie Mac. I still can’t get over how insane this book was.
Adult Fiction: Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult
Historical Fiction: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. All the tears!
2) Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn’t?
The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen. I am a die-hard Dessen fan, but I was disappointed in her newest release.
3) Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. Not usually into paranormal stuff, but I loved this book!
4) Best series you discovered in 2013?
The Gemma Doyle Series by Libba Bray! Even though I have only actually read the first one so far..
5) Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
6) Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Geez I need to get more variety in this sucker! Once again A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. This book was nothing like what I usually read, but oh so wonderful!
7) Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
The Beckoners by Carrie Mac.
8) Book you read in 2013 that you are most likely to re-read next year?
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
9) Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
Lucid by Adrienne Stoltz
10) Most memorable character in 2013?
Liesel from The Book Thief. Or Beck from The Beckoners
11) Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
Hands down The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
12) Book the had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
This is What I Did by Ann Dee Ellis. Really opened my eyes to middle school bullying and some really serious issues middle schools can go through.
13) Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
Once again, The Book Thief. Or Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares, but that is because I just found out it existed!
14) Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2013?
“Usually we walk around constantly believing ourselves. “I’m okay” we say. “I’m alright”. But sometimes the truth arrives on you and you can’t get it off. That’s when you realize that sometimes it isn’t even an answer–it’s a question. Even now, I wonder how much of my life is convinced.” -The Book Thief
15) Shortest and Longest book you read in 2013?
Shortest: Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw 96 pages
Longest: Identical by Ellen Hopkins 565 pages
16) Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling abnd dying to talkk to somebody aboutit? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc.)
The end of The Book Thief. I just wanted to run upstairs and tell my housemate all about it. But she was planning on reading it when I was done, so I didn’t. I just told her it was literally the saddest book I have ever read.
17) Favorite Relationship from a book you read in 2013?
Romance: Kaeleigh and Ian from Identical. And of course Hazel Grace and Augustus from The Fault in Our Stars (which I read for the fourth time in 2013).
Friendship: Liesel and Rudy from The Book Thief.
Family: Tully and Marah from Fly Away
Bonus: Relationship I could not stand in a book I read in 2013?
Rachel and Wyatt from Towering by Alex Flinn. Uggghhhhh
18) Favorite book you read in 2013 from an author you’ve previously read?
Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares
19) Genre you read most from in 2013?
20) Newest fictional crush from abook you read in 2013?
Kartik from A Great and Terrible Beauty
21) Best 2013 debut you read?
Gated by Amy Christine Parker
22) Most Vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
The Beckoners. The way she describes these girls and what they do is brillant.
23) Book that was most fun to read in 2013?
Hands down Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares. I just love those girls! And it took me back to my middle school days when I was first reading the series.
24) Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2013?
Geez, I feel like 2013 was the year of emotional books for me! Let’s See, The Book Thief, Fly Away, This is What I Did.
25) Book you read in 2013 that yo thing got overlooked this year or when it came out?
I am going to go with Sisterhood Everlasting because it was published in 2011 and I had no clue it existed until this year. And I just happened to stumble across it.
1) One book you didn’t get to in 2013 but will be your number 1 priority in 2014?
S. by JJ Abrams and Doug Dorst. I just got this for Christmas and I am beyond excited to read it!
2) Book you are most anticipating for 2014?
Hollow City by Ransom Riggs
3) One thing you hope to accomplish or do in you r reading/blogging in 2014?
-Blog more regularly
-Meet my Goodreads reading goal
-Read all those books I own, but have yet to open.